02 Oct 2019
Here is a quick and dirty manual way to create Steam shortcuts on the desktop in Linux.
Create a blank Launcher
- Right click the desktop and Create Launcher
- Enter the game name as the Shortcut Title.
- Temporarily enter “Steam” for the Command.
- Click “Create”.
Gather Steam Information
- In Steam, go to the Game in your Library
- Select Store Page Link
- In the Location/URL in Steam, there’ll be a link “https://store.steampowered.com/app/268870/” with a numeric Game ID at the end (“268870”)
Customise the Launcher
- Right click the Launcher shortcut icon
- Select “Properties”
- Under Permissions Tab check “Allow this file to run as a program”
- Under Launcher Tab enter the command “steam steam://rungameid/NNNNNN” where the NNNNNN is replaced with the numeric Game ID.
- Under General there should be an generic icon, click it to change.
- Select your Steam Library location, usually “/Steam/steamapps/common/GAMENAME/GAMENAMEData/Resources” where GAMENAME is the name of the game.
- There should be an image icon file in there you can select for the shortcut.